Free Skills Bootcamps – Estimating skills for a thriving construction firm
Sunday, October 15th, 2023
“Estimating Skills for a thriving construction firm” – Skills Bootcamp
** 8-week course – Mondays and Wednesdays 2pm-6pm – February and March 2024 **
Want to improve the accuracy of your estimating? Want the professional advice of experts in their field? As well as learning to use industry-leading software to produce high quality customer quotations, you’ll be taught about best practice when it comes to profit margins and overheads, contracts, deposits and stage payments.
Want guidance on business growth? You’ve come to the right place. You’ll hear about planning for success, promoting your business, moving it upmarket and much more. Great timing during this challenging economic period and excellent tools to take forward with you.
Please note, we also run a Skills Bootcamp on ‘Using CAD for profitable take-offs’. If you’d rather train in estimating by taking off plans using CAD software, this is the course for you. Check out the details here.
During the Estimating Skills Bootcamp you will learn…
- How to set up an estimate
- How to curate a price book
- How to estimate 4 different types of residential building projects, capturing the building geometry and setting up the specification which can have a significant impact on cost
- How to cost the project, produce a build program and produce reports and schedules
- How to present yourself and client quotations
And once the Estimating Skills Bootcamp is finished – how about…
- Taking on a new role within the business as a Domestic Estimator
- Growing your business by offering professional quotations
- Improving the profitability of your business by improving the accuracy of estimates
- Sustaining your business by having the knowledge to charge more for building projects
- Being more efficient and saving time in your normal working practices.
Could this Estimating Skills Bootcamp be perfect for you or someone you know?
- Started a new business recently?
- An established business and want to speed up your estimating?
- Concerned your quotes aren’t accurate enough?
- Want to offer estimating, admin or management skills to someone else’s business?
- Ready for a new career challenge?
The Skills Bootcamp in Estimating Skills for a thriving construction firm is being run in conjunction with CPJ Education and certain Local Authorities, and is funded by the Department for Education. You can read about our entirely business-focussed Skills Bootcamp, Business Skills for a successful construction firm here.
This 8-week remote online training course provides a blend of technical skills and industry awareness. It is part of the Government’s Lifetime Skills Guarantee, helping everyone gain skills for life. The learner has the support of a tutor throughout.
A taster of the course content
- Understanding the built environment
- Understanding the benefits of digitisation
- BIM awareness
- Understanding the impact of planning for project success
- Estimating effectively – 4 project case studies
- Understanding profit margins & overheads
- Understanding how to quote effectively
- Understanding the importance of contracts, deposits & stage payments
- Understanding how to promote your business
- Understanding how to move your business up market
- Health & safety in construction – identifying risks when estimating
- Presentation skills
- And more…
Which regions receive funding support?
If you have any construction projects in these locations, or live in or around one of these locations, then read on!
New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership
Norfolk, Suffolk, plus certain postcodes in Essex, Cambridge and Peterborough
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
Halton, Liverpool, Knowsley, Sefton, Wirral & St Helens
Lancashire Local Enterprise Partnership
Blackburn with Darwen; Blackpool; Burnley; Chorley; Fylde; Hyndburn; Lancaster; Pendle; Preston; Ribble Valley; Rossendale; South Ribble; West Lancashire; and Wyre
We’ll let you know as more local authorities appoint us to run the Skills Bootcamps.
- 19+ years of age
- 3+ years resident in the UK
- Lives or works in the geographic region that has funding
- Hasn’t undertaken any other Skills Bootcamps in the last 12 months
- Windows laptop/computer (for software package installation)
- Broadband access
- Video access i.e. Microsoft Teams/Zoom meetings with course tutor
- Construction experience preferred but not essential.
Cost: Estimating Skills for a thriving construction firm – Skills Bootcamp
The training can be free for the learner!
- If you’re unemployed or self-employed (either sub-contracting or owner of a small business that doesn’t collect staff taxes) the course is fully funded by the government!
- Small to medium sized employers, who have a payroll, and new estimating-related roles for their employees or wish them to upskill, pay 10% of the training cost – the rest is funded by the government:
- £348 + VAT (10% of the £3489 training cost)
- Large employers (250+), who have new estimating-related roles for their employees, pay 30% of the training cost – the rest is funded by the government:
- £1046 +VAT (30% of the £3489 training cost).
- 8 weeks remote online – 2.00pm – 6.00pm Mondays and Wednesdays
- 60 guided learning hours – typically 4 hours x 2 per week
- 60 hours of independent learning – typically 4 hours x 2 per week
Key dates – next course starts February 2024
- Applications open: 1.11.23
- Start date: 5.2.24
- Last date: 27.3.24
- Skills Bootcamp Certificate of Achievement
- Portfolio of 4 estimated projects to demonstrate competence
- A Career Progression Plan produced with a Careers Advisor
- If relevant, a guaranteed job interview with Supply Chain of Galliford Try and CITB registered employers
- Mentor for up to six months.
How to apply or find out more
If you would like to be considered (or know someone who would) please call 0117 916 7870 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org providing your name and phone number.
To register your interest generally please email or call us and we will keep you posted.