Free Skills Bootcamps – Business skills for a successful construction firm
Sunday, October 15th, 2023
“Business skills for a successful construction firm” – Skills Bootcamp
** 9-week course – Fridays 10am-4.30pm – February and March 2024 **
Want consistent, sustainable profit? Does it feel like 2 steps forward, 3 steps back? This course comes at just the right time. The construction industry is in a challenging economic period. The 9 weeks are devoted to advice, tips and training on the important practical issues any owner or manager has to deal with. Discover what’s currently holding you back. Understand what it takes to run an efficient, healthy, effective business. And the best news? It costs very little – and is even free if you meet the criteria! All learners will be provided with the HBXL software needed for the duration of the course.
You’ll develop management skills and feel more confident about your role, understand the function of the site manager and receive SSSTS accreditation. You’ll get to grips with key areas in the modern building company such as health and safety, circular economy and modern methods of construction. You’ll understand how to cost projects and develop a programme of works, and much more.
During the Business Skills Bootcamp you will learn…
- The benefits of digitisation
- How to go about costing a project, produce a build program and produce schedules
- How to calculate profit on your projects
- How to quote effectively
- The importance of contracts, deposits and stage payments
- The importance of a business model to the financial health of the business
- How to present yourself and your business
- The importance of mental health in construction
- The importance of equality, diversity and inclusion in construction
- The importance of the circular economy in construction
- What modern slavery is; when an individual is exploited by others, for personal or commercial gain in construction.
And once the Business Skills Bootcamp is finished how about…
- Leading a business better
- Growing your business in a profitable manner
- Being more efficient and saving time in your normal working practices
- Sustaining your business by understanding and implementing the benefits of digitisation
- Taking on a new role within the business as a site manager / project manager
- Improving the health and safety on construction sites that you work on
- Growing your business by learning from best practice?
Could this Business Skills Bootcamp be perfect for you or someone you know?
- Started a new business recently?
- Need to take your slow moving business up a gear?
- Worried for the future and need a fresh approach?
- Want to offer management skills to someone else’s business?
- Ready for a new career challenge?
The Skills Bootcamp in Business skills for a successful construction firm is being run in conjunction with CPJ Education and certain Local Authorities, and is funded by the Department for Education.
This 9-week Business Skills Bootcamp provides a blend of technical skills and industry awareness. It’s part of the Government’s Lifetime Skills Guarantee, helping everyone gain skills for life. The learner has the support of a tutor throughout, and can gain CITB certification through the Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme.
The majority of the course is delivered remotely online but there is the option of two face-to-face days at the end of the course to achieve the CITB SSSTS qualification. These two days will be delivered as close to the learner’s location as possible. Alternatively, they can be delivered online.
A taster of the course content
- Understanding the impact of planning for project success
- Understanding the benefits of digitisation
- BIM awareness
- Introduction to cost estimating
- Estimating effectively – 2 project case studies
- Understanding profit margins & overheads
- Understanding how to quote effectively
- Understanding how to promote your business
- Understanding how to move your business up market
- Understanding the importance of contracts, deposits & stage payments
- Understanding business models and cashflows and how to use them effectively
- Health & safety in construction awareness
- Mental health awareness
- Circular economy awareness
- Equality, Diversion & Inclusion awareness
- CITB SSSTS
There are also 3 check-ins 1-2-1 to support your plans for making the most of your new skills – whether that’s preparing for interviews or putting them to good use in the business you’re already in.
Which regions receive funding support?
If you have any construction projects in these locations, or live in or around one of these locations, then read on!
New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership
Norfolk, Suffolk, plus certain postcodes in Essex, Cambridge and Peterborough
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
Halton, Liverpool, Knowsley, Sefton, Wirral & St Helens
Lancashire Local Enterprise Partnership
Blackburn with Darwen; Blackpool; Burnley; Chorley; Fylde; Hyndburn; Lancaster; Pendle; Preston; Ribble Valley; Rossendale; South Ribble; West Lancashire; and Wyre
We’ll let you know as more local authorities appoint us to run the Skills Bootcamps.
- 19+ years of age
- 3+ years resident in the UK
- Lives or works in the geographic region that has funding
- Hasn’t undertaken any other Skills Bootcamps in the last 12 months
- Windows laptop/computer (for software package installation)
- Broadband access
- Video access i.e. Microsoft Teams/Zoom meetings with course tutor
- Construction experience preferred but not essential.
Cost: Business skills for a successful construction firm – Skills Bootcamp
The training can be free for the learner!
- If you’re unemployed or self-employed (either sub-contracting or owner of a small business that doesn’t collect staff taxes) the course is fully funded by the government!
- Small to medium sized employers, who have a payroll, and new relevant roles for their employees or wish them to upskill, pay 10% of the training cost – the rest is funded by the government:
- £350 + VAT (10% of the £3498 training cost)
- Large employers (250+), who have new relevant roles for their employees, pay 30% of the training cost – the rest is funded by the government:
- £1049 + VAT (30% of the £3498 training cost).
Please note – we can help you claim back half of the course via the CITB. So instead of £350+VAT you would pay just £175+VAT.
- 9 weeks (8 weeks remote and option of week 9 in-person or online for SSSTS course and qualification)
- 10.00am – 4.30pm each Friday
- 48 guided learning hours – typically 1 X 6 hour session per week
- 16 hours of CITB SSSTS training F2F or online
- 48 hours of independent learning – typically 6 hours per week
Key dates – next course starts February 2024
- Applications open: 1.11.23
- Start date: 2.2.24
- Last date: 29.3.24
- Skills Bootcamp Certificate of Achievement
- CITB Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme Certification (SSSTS)
- A Career Progression Plan produced with a Careers Advisor
- If relevant, guaranteed job interview with Supply Chain of Galliford Try and CITB and CECA registered employers
- Mentor for up to six months.
How to apply or find out more
If you would like to be considered (or know someone who would) please call 0117 916 7870 or email us at email@example.com providing your name and phone number.
To register your interest generally please email or call us and we will keep you posted.