Free Skills Bootcamps – CAD for Construction
Sunday, October 15th, 2023
“CAD for Construction” – Skills Bootcamp
** 8-week course – Tuesdays and Thursdays 2pm-6pm – February and March 2024 **
Want to gain skills in CAD drawing specifically for construction? Want to be able to produce building regulation quality building plans and elevations? You’ll be taught by experts in their field and complete the course with new or improved skills. This is an exciting opportunity to learn to draw houses, extensions and lofts under the supervision of a supportive, friendly team of tutors.
During the CAD for Construction Skills Bootcamp you will learn…
- How to set up a drawing page template and set the scale
- How to draw plans of various residential types and specify the drawings as you progress
- How to produce a 3D model and photo-visualisation
- How to add detailing to your drawing
- How to cost the project, produce a build program and produce schedules
- How to present yourself and client quotations
- Understand your responsibilities in health and safety terms as a designer
And once the CAD for Construction Skills Bootcamp is finished how about…
- Taking on a new role within the business as a residential designer
- Growing your business by offering new CAD services (with professional quotations)
- Sustaining your business by charging clients for drawings
- Being more efficient and saving time in your normal working practices
- Offering more complex designs than you were previously capable of.
Could this CAD for Construction Skills Bootcamp be perfect for you or someone you know?
- An established business that wants to offer Design as well as Build?
- Want to take your drawing skills to another level?
- Want to upskill?
- Ready for a new career challenge?
- Unemployed wanting a new skill?
- Returner changing careers after a break?
- A graduate entering the job market?
The Skills Bootcamp in CAD for Construction is being run in conjunction with CPJ Education and certain Local Authorities, and is funded by the Department for Education.
This 8-week remote online training course provides a blend of technical skills and industry awareness. It is part of the Government’s Lifetime Skills Guarantee, helping everyone gain skills for life. The learner has the support of a tutor throughout.
A taster of the course content
- Understanding the built environment
- Understanding the benefits of digitisation
- BIM awareness
- CAD skills to draft new build building plans
- CAD skills to draft home extension plans
- CAD skills to draft loft conversion plans
- 3D model and Photorealistic model production
- Understanding how to estimate costs of residential building work
- Health & safety in construction – identifying risks when designing
- Presentation skills
- CAD Technician
- Design Technician
- Architectural Technician
Which regions receive funding support?
If you have any construction projects in these locations, or live in or around one of these locations, then read on!
New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership
Norfolk, Suffolk, plus certain postcodes in Essex, Cambridge and Peterborough
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
Halton, Liverpool, Knowsley, Sefton, Wirral & St Helens
Lancashire Local Enterprise Partnership
Blackburn with Darwen; Blackpool; Burnley; Chorley; Fylde; Hyndburn; Lancaster; Pendle; Preston; Ribble Valley; Rossendale; South Ribble; West Lancashire; and Wyre
We’ll let you know as more local authorities appoint us to run the Skills Bootcamps.
- 19+ years of age
- 3+ years resident in the UK
- Lives or works in the geographic region that has funding
- Hasn’t undertaken any other Skills Bootcamps in the last 12 months
- Windows laptop/computer (for software package installation)
- Broadband access
- Video access i.e. Microsoft Teams/Zoom meetings with course tutor
- Construction experience preferred but not essential.
Cost of the CAD for Construction Skills Bootcamp
The training is free for the learner!
- If you’re unemployed or self-employed the course is fully funded by the government!
- Small to medium sized employers, who have new CAD-related roles for their employees or wish them to upskill, pay 10% of the training cost – the rest is funded by the government:
- £413 + VAT (10% of the £4131 training cost)
- Large employers (250+), who have new CAD-related roles for their employees, pay 30% of the training cost – the rest is funded by the government:
- £1239 + VAT (30% of the £4131 training cost).
- 8 weeks remote online – 2.00pm-6.00pm Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 60 guided learning hours – 4 hours x 2 per week
- 60 hours of independent learning – 4 hours x 2 per week
Key dates – next course starts February 2024
- Applications open: 1.11.23
- Start date: 6.2.24
- Last date: 28.3.24
- Skills Bootcamp Certificate of Achievement
- Portfolio of 4 projects to demonstrate competence
- A Career Progression Plan produced with a Careers Advisor
- If relevant, guaranteed job interview with Supply Chain of Galliford Try and CITB registered employers
- Mentor for up to six months.
How to apply or find out more
If you would like to be considered (or know someone who would) please call 0117 916 7870 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org providing your name and phone number.
To register your interest generally please email or call us and we will keep you posted.