Free construction skills bootcamps with HBXL
Saturday, October 14th, 2023
Free and 90%-funded construction Skills Bootcamps are changing lives for people entering the building industry or wanting to gain new skills in it. Valuable skills are in demand and good business knowledge is an absolute asset. Could one of our courses be right for you – or someone you know? Read on!
Our Skills Bootcamps are run in conjunction with experienced training company, CPJ Education, and mentoring experts, the Better Business Group. Our funding comes from the Department for Education. Local Authorities in England work with us to make the courses possible. We’re currently working in partnership with New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership, Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and Lancashire Local Enterprise Partnership.
Maybe you want the skills to offer an employer, maybe you want this knowledge for your business – start-up or established – either way one of our courses could be perfect for you – or someone you know (please spread the word).
Who are the free and 90% funded Construction Skills Bootcamps for?
- Unemployed wanting new skills
- Employed looking to upskill
- Business owner looking to grow the business
- Self-employed keen to provide a new service
- Graduate looking to enter the job market
- Returner changing careers after a break
What courses do you run?
The course topics change over the year. In January, February and March 2024 we are offering the following courses, and if you click on the title you’ll be able to find out the cost, the start date, and the full syllabus:
- Business Skills for a successful construction firm
- Estimating Skills for a thriving construction firm
- CAD for Construction
- CAD for profitable take-offs
How long are the courses and what happens?
Over 8/9/10 weeks (depending on the course) we bring trainees together, online, with our expert tutors. The courses total 60 guided learning hours (for the Business course it’s 48 hours guided learning and 16 hours gaining the CITB SSSTS certification). There’ll also be some homework each week to prepare for the next meet up. It’s all practical, straightforward stuff delivered in a friendly way – you’re not going back to school! Your own independent learning typically totals 60 hours.
What do I get at the end of the Skills Bootcamp?
- New, valuable skills
- Skills Bootcamp Certificate of Achievement
- A portfolio of project to demonstrate competence (CAD and Estimating courses)
- A Career Progression Plan produced with a Careers Advisor
- Guaranteed job interview (if relevant) with an employer in your region
- Mentor for up to six months
- CITB Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme certification (Business Skills Bootcamp only)
How much does it cost?
Each course has its own cost. Skills Bootcamps are free if you’re unemployed, or self-employed (either sub-contracting or owner of a small business that doesn’t collect staff taxes). If you are on the payroll of a company or run a payroll for your own company, the business pays just 10% towards the training fee (the government pays the rest). Typically the courses cost between £350 and £450+VAT per person (that’s 10% of the total cost).
How do I qualify for the course?
There is an application process, and places are limited. (You need to be 19+ years of age). The courses are delivered remotely online but trainees must either live or be working on construction projects in the following funded locations (we’re talking to other local authorities so watch this space):
New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership
Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridge and Peterborough
Liverpool City Region Combined Authority
Halton, Liverpool, Knowsley, Sefton, Wirral & St Helens
Lancashire Local Enterprise Partnership
Blackburn with Darwen; Blackpool; Burnley; Chorley; Fylde; Hyndburn; Lancaster; Pendle; Preston; Ribble Valley; Rossendale; South Ribble; West Lancashire; and Wyre
- 19+ years of age
- 3+ years resident in the UK
- Lives or works in the geographic region that has funding
- Hasn’t undertaken any other Skills Bootcamps in the last 12 months
- Windows laptop/computer (for software package installation)
- Broadband access
- Video access i.e. Microsoft Teams/Zoom meetings with course tutor
- Construction experience preferred but not essential.
How do I (or someone I know) apply?
The courses are always popular, so act fast!
If you would like to be considered for a specific course (or know someone who would) please call 0117 916 7870 or email email@example.com and tell us where you’re based or if you have any projects in the relevant locations. Please provide your name and phone number.
To register your interest generally, please email or call us and we will keep you posted.